Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Eau de Lactation

I am not fully able to put into words the beauty that was our birth, and on the same hand, I struggle to find words that accurately describe the days that followed.
Breastfeeding was my labor.
I was over and over prepared for everything related to birth.
I had no idea how to breastfeed.
I thought "you have boobs, you feed your kid" - it is in no way that easy, at least it wasnt for me.
My midwives said they never heard a mother refer to her child as a Parana before me.
Mara was a suckerfish straight out of the shoot, a good and strong suck, too bad that we didnt know she had a retarded latch. By the time that my midwife apprentice came over for our 24hr check up, the damage had already been done. That morning's earlier feeding I was baling for the shear pain.
Our apprentice called one of our midwives and she came to stay with us for the rest of the day - God bless her! she brought cream and chill packs for my tits and helped us get the mechanics down. But oh was it a hard first few days! I was naked for about three days straight. My nipples were on fire and looked like it too. I literally had 3rd degree hickies on my chest.
It took a good two weeks before I felt like I was fully healed - and didnt stop breathing for a good minuet every time she latched on - but aside from that there were all the other issues that go along with breastfeeding, irregardless if your child happens to be part Hoover.
There's the engorgement that makes you feel like some one stuffed boulders in your bra with out your knowledge. (Oh yeah, and the best part was that one of my boobs filled up before the other. I know that we're all a bit A-symmetrical in that area, but i was walking at a slant for about a day and a half).
And then there's the leakage. She's a few days over a month now and I think my camel-packs are just now staring to regulate. For the first few weeks my boobs were just cranking out the milk. I could have nursed a nation. So therefore I had the lovely experience of soggy T-shirts at ALL times. Bonneville could not keep my boobs at bay! I could hose down two breast pads, my nursing bra, a camisole, a t-shirt, and a sweater in about an hour. I eventually just gave up and just walked around looking like I had gotten into a waterballon fight with myself.
I had read somewhere that infants have a very keen since of smell - they can smell ya before they see ya. Well I too developed a sensitive nose because it had gotten to the point where if I couldnt feel that I was soaking a shirt, I could however, smell it.
I asked Michael if I smelled like milk and he gave me a face like he didnt want to answer. I did. And still do from time to time.
I have to say though, that it's not as gross as it sounds. Its actually a very sweet smell. I dont think it will catch on and be #300 in the "Glow by JLo" collection, but I've become fond of it. Its a part of me now. Just like she is.
I am happy to report that, a month in, feedings are going well.
The best moments of my day are when she's happily nursing - and smiles - with my boob in her mouth.
Oh the joys of Motherhood

3 comments:

  1. haha! I love that last part Nicole...."smiles with her boob in my mouth." :D So funny. I'm glad breast-feeding is going better now, and sorry that it was so hard in the beginning. I've heard from a lot of people that they have a rough time with their baby latching on at first. You would think it would be as simple as having boobs and just feeding the kid, as you say, but I guess it must not be at times. Anyway, glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that part too - The smiles while they are nursing or the way they stare at you while they're suckling away. Such a bonding experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do love it now. A small fact that I had meant to add was that while we were trying to get this feeding thing figured out - I had pieces of my nipple falling off at one point. I think that when she rebels someday and says that I dont love her, I'll take a binder clip to her chest.

    ReplyDelete